June 9, 2009

Just like that, huh, you don't like the bath?


Since Dylan was born, he liked to take a bath. The ritual started in his little plastic tub in the kitchen sink, but he was in the big boy bath in no time. He liked to splash, reach for the running water, play with toys and discover his naughty bits.

Then, out of the blue, he freaked out when Mandy tried to give him a bath last week. From all accounts, he had a total and complete meltdown and he has been spooked out about the tub ever since. I climbed in the tub on Sunday to try and lure him in, not that I have the skill of luring little kids into bath tubs with me. Speaking of which, baths are disgusting. I feel more dirty when I get out of a bath, I'm missing something here.

Anyway, I tried luring the child into the shallow cesspool, but with no luck. He did splash his hand a bit, and then we reintroduced his little plastic tub that was used when he was a newborn. Again, he splashed and even sat in it for a minute or so.

He never showed interest in getting in the tub, but the fear seemed to have glazed off his face. Mandy's fear on the other hand was there the whole time, afraid I would scoop up Dylan and force him in the tub. I must admit the temptation was there, but the trauma and trust issues I would have potentially caused may not have been reversible.

We'll see if it is a phase, or if we'll have to start hosing him off in the front yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers